The Feast of Trumpets
The Bible reveals in graphic detail the Second Coming of Jesus Christ in supreme power to set up the Kingdom of God on earth. Yet the world seems to understand almost nothing of this event and the annual festival that pictures it! God, in a very few years, will send Jesus Christ again-this time to save mankind from nuclear mass destruction, to end human suffering, and bring world peace. He will come to rule over all nations and usher in the happy, peaceful world tomorrow. What a difference this is from the doctrine that “heaven is the reward of the saved.”
Christ to Establish a New Civilization
For nearly 6,000 years, God has allowed us to reap the consequences of going our own ways. Man now stands ready to destroy all life on this planet! And unless Jesus Christ returns to earth to put an end to warfare, not a single human being would be left alive!
In God’s 7,000-year Master Plan, the first 6,000 years have been allotted to man to do his own thing. During these 6,000 years, civilizations have developed based on Satan’s way, who really does exist. It is he who rules this earth. Christ, at His return, will end Satan’s rule, and begin 1,000 years of God’s rule, the rule of the Kingdom of God on earth. A new civilization based on God’s law. Peace, happiness and prosperity will soon be everywhere!
First Fruits Harvested at Christ’s Return
God uses the spring and autumn agricultural harvests of Palestine as symbolic types of His spiritual harvests. The spring festivals picture those God has been calling to become the “first fruits” (Jabs. 1:18), the relatively small beginning of His spiritual harvest into His Family. Then in the early autumn, the festivals of the later harvest season picture God calling the rest of humanity after Christ’s return.
God begins His annual festivals with the Passover, which reminds us of Christ the Messiah’s sacrifice (I Cory. 5:7) making it possible for the first fruits to be forgiven. Next comes the Feast of Unleavened Bread, picturing the continual need to put law breaking- “leaven”(I Cory. 5:8) out of our lives.
Then First Fruits, the day of Pentecost, the final spring festival, picturing God sending, first, His law and later His Spirit (Acts 2) to strengthen the Church of God. But the first fruits will not enter God’s Family until they are (John 3:3-8) -changed to spirit! That will not occur until Christ comes again, and that brings us to the next festival, the Feast of Trumpets!
The Feast of Trumpets is the central Holy Day in God’s plan. It not only pictures the terrible time of war to befall this generation, but also Jesus Christ’s intervention to save us from annihilation and to establish the Government of God on earth. He will resurrect or change to spirit those who have already qualified to assist Him.
Beginning of Great Fall Harvest
Christ’s return, will usher in the 1,000-year period when He and the "first fruits" will rule on earth. Then will begin the great spiritual harvest into God’s Family. During the Millennium all will learn God’s truth. Most will choose to live God’s way of PEACE and will be born into the Family of God. Those brought into God’s Family at Christ’s return will assist Him with that spiritual harvest of human beings into the Family of God. Now let’s understand how the Feast of Trumpets fits into God’s Master Plan.
Christ to Intervene in World Affairs
As the disciples were told (Acts 1:11). “I will come again,”(John 14:3). Christ came more than 1,950 years ago as a humble messenger to announce the good news of the coming Kingdom of God. But this time, when He returns, He will come in all the power of God!
1. Will Christ return to earth for the purpose of setting up the Kingdom or world ruling government of God? Rev. 11:15-18. Will He come meekly, or with God’s power? Verse 18. Will the nations of this world surrender peacefully? Same verse.
COMMENT: The nations’ political rulers will be angry when they realize that Christ has come to abolish the governments of this world and to establish the Kingdom of God, which will rule over all the earth from Jerusalem. All English translations of the first part of verse 18 speak of “the time of the dead, that they should be judged….” This is an error and is disproved by Revelation 20:5, which shows that this occurs after the 1,000 years are over. Jesus gave His disciples the outline of events that would lead up to His Second Coming. Let’s notice what He said concerning the Feast of Trumpets and the coming time of world war.
2. What is the sign that will announce the return of Christ-is it the loud sound of a trumpet? Matt. 24:30-31.
COMMENT: See ‘Revelation Unveiled’ in the America And Britains Future Free Library. It describes in detail the sequence of events until the end of man’s rule on earth and the return of Jesus Christ.
3. Did Jesus say that the coming Kingdom of God would be established on earth during a time of world war? Matt. 24:3, 6-8, 21. Also see Luke 21:31. Will this time of world war be the time when man finally has the power to wipe out all life on earth? Matt. 24:21-22.
COMMENT: The world today is an armed camp, with awesome weapons that could extinguish human civilization from the face of this planet! Jesus said of this day, “This generation shall not pass away till all these things be fulfilled.” We are now living in the very days Jesus Christ spoke about-and unless these days are shortened, no flesh would be saved alive! It is our generation-the world of today-that will witness the destructiveness of nuclear warfare. But our present generation will also witness the last-minute intervention by Jesus Christ to save humanity from cosmocide. Our generation will witness the return of Jesus Christ in great power to set up the World Ruling Government of God.
The Meaning of Trumpets
Leviticus 23, is the main chapter that outlines all of God’s Holy Days. Let’s learn what it and other passages in the Old Testament say about the Feast of Trumpets.
1. When is the Feast of Trumpets to be held each year? Lev. 23:23-25.
COMMENT: Seven is God’s special number signifying completion and perfection. The seventh month of God’s sacred calendar contains the final festivals outlining God’s Master Plan. The first day of the seventh month marks the beginning of the final phases of God’s plan.
3. Are God’s people commanded to come together before God on this Holy Day? Num. 29:1.
6. How were the trumpets to be blown on the Feast of Trumpets? Read and summarize Numbers 10:1-10 Were silver trumpets to be used to announce the feasts and to call God’s people to assemble? Verses 2, 10.
COMMENT: In addition to the silver trumpets that were blown on the Feast of Trumpets, something else was blown. Jewish tradition preserves the record that in addition to the silver trumpets (chatsotserah in Hebrew), a ram’s horn (shophar in Hebrew) is also blown annually on the first day of the seventh month–the Feast of Trumpets (Talmud, “Rosh Hashana,” Mishnah 26b). The silver trumpets could produce a variety of musical notes, but the ram’s horn produced only a piercing blast. This piercing blast signified a warning.
8. Were trumpets blown specifically on days of gladness, solemn days and at the beginning of months-including the seventh month? Num. 10:10.
COMMENT: The Feast of Trumpets is a day of gladness and great rejoicing, but it also has a contrasting note of solemnity to it. That is because of the earthshaking events that will occur just before Christ’s return. It was the blast of the ram’s horn that gave great solemnity to the Feast of Trumpets. Not normally used in Church of God services today.
Trumpets an Alarm of War
Since the use of the shophar or ram’s horn on the Feast of Trumpets made that feast day unique, what did the sound of the ram’s horn mean to Old Testament Israel? Let’s understand what its piercing sound signified to those who heard it.
1. What was Jeremiah’s reaction when he heard the sound of the ram’s horn? Jer. 4:19-21.
COMMENT: It is this warning of an imminent crisis that sets apart the Feast of Trumpets from God’s other Holy Days. It is this warning of war that gives the Feast of Trumpets its contrasting note.
2. Was a ram’s horn sounded when an approaching enemy was seen by a watchman of the Israelites? Ezek. 33:2-6.
COMMENT: In ancient Israel, trumpets were also blown before important messages. The Old Testament prophets, such as Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel, symbolically used their voices like trumpets to blare warnings to God’s people. And God’s servants today are doing the same thing.
4. Has God revealed to His true servants what is going to happen before Christ’s return to earth? Read and summarize Matthew 24:1-14. What is the message God’s faithful servants are bringing to all nations? Verse 14.
COMMENT: God’s true Church in this generation is announcing the Good News of the coming Kingdom of God to the nations of this world. People are being warned that before the restoration of God’s government to this earth, there will come first great deception in religious teaching, then wars and rumors of wars, then religious persecution, ending in the most terrifying world war this world has ever experienced!
We are at this time in the recess between rounds two and three of these world wars. World War III is coming, and only those who are accounted worthy in God’s Church will escape into a wilderness area where God will protect them. Rev12:14.
Christ Pleads With the Nations
The book of Revelation, in which is found the prophecy of the seven trumpets, symbolizes the terrifying, world events to occur just before Christ’s return.
1. What is the time setting of the seven trumpets-is it a time of God’s anger? Rev. 6:16-17.
COMMENT: The symbolic trumpets portray the time when God intervenes!
2. Is the time of Christ’s intervention in world affairs announced by awesome signs in the heavens? Verses 12-16. Will men be terrified with fear and want to hide when they realize God is intervening in world affairs? Verses 15-16.
3. What is the very next thing to happen after the signs of Christ’s coming appear? Rev. 7:1.
COMMENT: These four winds are the winds that blow the first four of the seven trumpets. The trumpets announce God’s direct intervention to spare mankind from the destruction of human and animal life.
5. Did these people repent of disobeying God sometime during or at the end of the Great Tribulation? Verse 14.
COMMENT: The 144,000, as well as the great ‘innumerable multitude’ from all nations referred to in verse 9, repent and turn to God. “These are they which came out of great tribulation.” These multitudes will be given the ability to live forever, and serve God in His Temple (verse 15).
6. What will happen after God’s faithful servants are ‘sealed’ by His Spirit, which gives them protection from the plagues announced by the trumpets that will sound during the day of the Lord? Rev. 8:1-6.
7. What will occur on earth when the first angel blows his trumpet? Verse 7.
COMMENT: A fire will burn all green grass and one third of the trees. Burned vegetation will be the first punishment for continued refusal to end the destruction of mankind.
8. What does the blast of the second angel’s trumpet announce? Verses 8-9.
COMMENT: The seas will be gravely affected by this. One third of the seas will turn to blood, one third of life in the seas will be destroyed, and one third of the ships, mainly used for trade and warfare, will be destroyed! As each plague from God falls on the disobedient, those who surrender to God, who begin to obey Him will be protected from the punishments yet to come.
9. Next, what happens to part of the earth’s supplies of drinking water when the trumpet of the third angel is sounded? Verses 10-11.
COMMENT: God will next make one third of the waters of the earth unfit for human consumption. The waters will become bitter, causing many to die, delaying further nuclear war.
10. What is announced by the fourth trumpet? Verse 12.
COMMENT: Irregularities in the sun and moon brought men in ancient times to the realization that God was intervening in human affairs! Although terrified because of the signs, most will refuse to surrender, despite God’s repeated warnings!
Catastrophic World War
COMMENT: Three is God’s special number signifying finality. These three final major battles, each so horrifying that it is called a “woe” by God. Each battle is so destructive that only God will be able to repair the damage man’s armies will do to the surface of the earth. At the third battle-the third woe and last trumpet-all life will be saved from extinction only by God.
If God did not personally intervene in this climactic war, men would destroy the last traces of human life from the face of the earth! These terrifying events make the Feast of Trumpets a solemn day. But to those who have begun to obey God now, it is a time of rejoicing. Today’s lawless societies will be abolished, and the Kingdom of God will be established on earth by Jesus Christ!
3. Does the Apostle John describe “locusts” that will be used to inflict pain on men? Verses 3-10.
COMMENT: John used the symbolic term locusts to describe the war machines that would be invented and used by the military in this final world conflict! Notice that these symbolic locusts or grasshoppers are driven by men and are able to fly (verses 7, 9). They make a tremendous noise and are protected by armor plating.
These weapons of destruction were completely unfamiliar to the Apostle John. He could only describe them in the language of his day. These terrifying weapons of war now exist in our modern military arsenals. At the time of the fifth trumpet and the first war or "woe," these will be used.
4. Who is the real leader of this army that is equipped with awesome weapons of mass destruction? Verse 11.
COMMENT: The Hebrew word abaddon, and the Greek word apollyon both mean “destroyer”! The sinister power that will guide these nations leaders and these armies is Satan, hoping to destroy all life on earth.
5. Where does this army, with its leadership come from and is this referred to so we can identify where this army comes from? Rev. 17:8-14. This is the final restoration of THE ROMAN EMPIRE IN EUROPE NOW FORMING backed by the GREAT FALSE CHURCH at Rome? Modern weapons are described in Rev. 9: 7-11.
6. Who will be protected from the attack of the beast power? Rev. 9:4.
COMMENT: When the attack of the armies of ‘the beast’ TEN ARMIES UNITED IN EUROPE (Rev17:12,13) attack their enemies to the east, those who have God’s Spirit will be protected! But millions of modern-day descendants of the ancient 10 tribes of the House of Israel-including THE UNITED STATES, GREAT BRITAIN, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, France, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, Luxembourg and the nations of North Western Europe, WILL HAVE BEEN DEFEATED in attacks led by GERMANY only a very few years before, and will be in NATIONAL CAPTIVITYand SLAVERY believe it or not!
Note: See the ‘United States and Britain in Prophecy.’ The summary is a short overview, the longer version is attached. Also see ‘Germany In Prophecy’ (You may have wondered why Germany has fought two world wars against Britain and America? The German people were the Assyrians the descendants of Assure "THE ROD OF MY ANGER" Isa10:5,6) There will be A THIRD WORLD WAR! (Ezekiel 21:14) It is coming soon!
‘The Middle East In Prophecy’ contains details of the FUTURE TAKEOVER of THE PRESENT STATE OF ISRAEL by EUROPEAN FORCES! These four titles are easy to read summaries. For additional proof of these coming events see the extensive ‘America And Britain in Prophecy’. All four titles are found on Page 1 of the America And Britains Future Free Library.
We look forward to the time when our nations will once again live under God’s protection, as the leading nations during the future 1000 years of world peace in the ‘Wonderful World Tomorrow,’ this title is also found on Page1. (End of comment).
RUSSIA and the nations from the east, CHINA, INDIA and others will be preparing to attack THE TEN NATIONS IN EUROPE. But rather than let them obtain the advantage by striking the first blow, the European ‘beast power’ will have turned to attack them in the full fury of their military might!
This attack- the terrifying destructive power ‘the beast’ can devise-will be the ‘first woe’ or war. It will be the beginning of the all-out struggle for complete world domination between two great rivals for world rule. EUROPE against CHINA with it’s allies, also Russia. Now the stage is set for the second all-out battle for human domination of the world. The ‘second woe’ or war is ready to begin-the sixth trumpet is ready to sound!
The Second War or ‘Woe‘
1. Are the sixth angel’s trumpet plague and the second ‘woe’ clearly the same? Rev. 9:12-13. What will happen when the sixth trumpet is blown–who will even dare to threaten and make war on the ‘beast power’? Verses 14-16. And how are their weapons described? Verses 17-19.
2. How many people will suffer death inflicted by the ARMIES OF THE EAST as they counterattack against the armies and cities of GERMANY, and those nations in EUROPE which have traditionally been dominated by the church at Rome, as they join with Germany to comprise the ‘beast power’? Verses 15-18. Also supported by South America and some of the Middle Eastern nation’s.
COMMENT: It is this MASS DESTRUCTION of human life that Jesus Christ’s personal intervention will halt! If such battles were permitted to continue, all human life would be destroyed (Matt. 24:22).
3. How are these armed forces described? Rev. 9:16-19.
COMMENT: The Apostle John could describe these end-time, terrifying weapons only by comparing them with things familiar to him!
4. What else can we know about the super army as it attacks the armies of the ‘beast power’? Will millions die by nuclear war, how will a man’s life be valued? Lisa. 13:12-16.
5. Is Babylon (God’s name for the political and religious system that has come from the ancient city of Babylon to Rome, which has been perpetuated in the ROMAN EMPIRE-part of MODERN EUROPE TODAY) prophesied to fall a second time? Rev. 18:2; Isa. 21:9.
COMMENT: The COUNTER ATTACK will contribute in a major way to the FALL of ‘the beast power’, the TEN NATIONS LED BY GERMANY and Rome, spoken of here as “Babylon.” For a better understanding of the FALL of the last revival of the ROMAN EMPIRE, read Jeremiah 50:9-16, 40-42 and 51:7-11. The fall of ancient Babylon was only the smaller historic fulfillment of the much greater future end-time destruction that will befall the modern “daughter” of that ancient city, Rome and the 10 nation military force in Europe.
6. After the devastating counterattack on EUROPE-modern Babylon- by the armies of the east, CHINA and INDIA along with RUSSIA- will men yield to God’s government? Rev. 9:20-21.
7. Will God send His TWO WITNESSES throughout this period? Rev. 11:3-6. But will men turn to God after hearing these ‘two witnesses’? Or, in a fit of rage, will ‘the beast’ Europe’s Leader cause them to be killed? Verse 7. Where will they be killed? Verse 8.
COMMENT: Christ died in Jerusalem, which had become as bad as Egypt, in God’s sight. The ‘two witnesses’ will lie dead in the streets of Jerusalem for everyone to see.
8. When ‘the beast’ kills God’s ‘two witnesses’, what will his subjects do? Rev. 11:9-10. Will God, who has the power of life and death, RESURRECT HIS TWO WITNESSES in the sight of their murderers, further proving that He had sent them to prophesy? Verses 11-12.
Seventh Trumpet Announces Christ’s Return
1. What will happen when the seventh trumpet sounds and the ‘third woe or war’ or phase begins? Rev. 11:14-15. Who will then be given the kingdoms or governments of this world? Verse 15. Will this be a time of real rejoicing for the servants of God, including the angels? Verses 16-17.
2. But what will be the reaction of these nations ? Verse 18.
COMMENT: Jesus Christ, the new world Ruler, will not be automatically accepted by the warring Gentile nations as they gather their armies in the Middle East to challenge Christ. They will consider Him to be their common enemy, and will be angry at Him for coming to take control of ALL WORLD GOVERNMENTS. They know that with Jesus Christ ruling the earth, their human plans can never be completed. It is this climactic battle-the battle of ‘The Great Day of God Almighty’ that will determine the outcome of the war and who will rule the earth!
COMMENT: Just as the ‘seventh seal’ is divided into the seven last trumpets, so the ‘seventh trumpet’ is divided into the seven last plagues. These plagues will finally crush all rebellious world governments bringing them to their knees in a repentant attitude.
4. Will God’s angels who bring the seven last plagues be clothed in white linen, a symbol of righteous judgment? Verse 6.
COMMENT: God, who is very merciful, will not wait any longer for the power-mad politicians at the head of these human governments who will have already destroyed much of the earth. Unless God intervenes with force to stop warfare, no human would be left alive!
6. Will God prepare the way for the ‘kings of the east’ and their armies to cross the Euphrates into the Holy Land? Verse 12. Is this part of God’s plan to gather the armies of all nations that remain rebellious to His government into one place for the final battle? Verses 13-14. See also Zephaniah 3:8 and Joel 3:9-14.
7. Where will God battle with the forces of man’s government? Joel 3:12, 16. Will this last battle for earth’s control be in the ‘valley of decision’? Verse 14. Is it also called the Valley of Jehoshaphat? Verses 2, 12.
COMMENT: Armageddon is the English word for the Greek name for the Mount of Megiddo. Megiddo is a small town about 55 miles north of Jerusalem, situated in the large bowl-shaped Valley of Jezreel, also called the Plain of Esdraelon. It is here that the armies of rebellious nations will gather to challenge Jesus Christ in battle near Jerusalem to determine who will rule the earth.
11. Who will be defeated in this climactic battle of World War III? Rev. 19:18-20.
12. After all organized military resistance has been crushed, will Christ then punish the leaders of this world’s political and religious system that fought Him? Verse 20.
COMMENT: God’s Feast of Trumpets pictures this time of world war and the establishment of the Kingdom of God on earth. When God intervenes, those serving Him will rejoice at the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. They will understand what is happening because they have been keeping the Feast of Trumpets–the Holy Day in God’s Master Plan that pictures the return of Jesus Christ to earth to rule all nations from Jerusalem.
First Fruits Harvested at Last Trumpet
1. Why will ‘God’s elect’ rejoice at the sound of the ‘final trumpet’? Matt. 24:30-31.
COMMENT: In the final battle at the seventh trumpet and ‘third woe or war’- God will intervene to spare the human race from total destruction-for the sake of ‘His elect’ (verse 22).
2. When Christ returns to earth, what will happen to those who have faithfully obeyed God’s government? I Cor. 15:52; I Thess. 4:16-17. When will this change to Spirit beings occur-will it be at the sound of the last trumpet? I Cor. 15:52.
COMMENT: When the Apostle Paul uses the term “we,” he is speaking of those who have been obeying God’s law and who have received His Spirit. These will be raised from the dead or changed to spirit to live forever, in the first resurrection, as well as those ‘elect’ who are still alive at Christ’s Second Coming. It is this small group who will be the “first fruits” harvest of God’s Master Plan.
COMMENT: The resurrection of the ‘elect’ will occur at the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, when He returns to rule over all nations. Then those who have received God’s Spirit during their human lifetime an have qualified, will be resurrected to live forever and will inherit a place in Christ’s world ruling Kingdom.
COMMENT: The first fruits will have the great honor of being Christ’s assistants in the work of building a new civilization in the world tomorrow. They will rule with Christ during and after the 1000 year Millennium.
Last Trumpet Announces Second Exodus
1. As soon as the first resurrection occurs, what will Jesus Christ do? Isa. 27:12-13.
2. Will this re gathering of the American and British people-modern day descendants of the 12 tribes of Israel begin to take place at the last trump? Verse 13. Will these people be OPPRESSED by the nations into which they will be TAKEN CAPTIVE? Same verse; Isa. 10:20-22.
3. Will God have permitted His people–The American and British descendants of ancient Israel–to be scattered among all nations? Isa. 11:11-12. Will God save them A SECOND TIME from slavery in foreign nations? Verses 11, 16. Will this be similar to the exodus of ancient Israel from Egypt? Verse 16.
COMMENT: Modern-day descendants of the 12 tribes of Israel-including, the United States, Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and their allied democracies of western and northwestern Europe- WILL GO INTO CAPTIVITY before the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. They will be abused, starving, and hated but AFTER THREE AND A HALF YEARS God will bring them out of their national captivity.
COMMENT: These people will not be changed to spirit beings when Christ returns-but will be taken to Israel as physical human beings. They undoubtedly will have heard God’s Church WARNING of the terrible WAR AND CAPTIVITY SOON TO COME, but they did not heed (Hos. 5:8-9). Consequently, they went into captivity!
COMMENT: The vast majority of the modern-day Israelites -AMERICA AND BRITAIN and other nations who descend from the “Lost Ten Tribes,” are not even aware of their identity. They will have so badly offended God by their behavior and example to the rest of the world, for this reason, they will go into NATIONAL CAPTIVITY. But God will once again save them from captivity, and bring them back to Israel. See ‘Where Are The Nations of Israel Located’ and the very informative ‘Where Did The Twelve Apostles Go’ found in Page 1 of the America And Britains Future Free Library.
God holds His ministers responsible for WARNING the modern descendants of ancient Israel of His imminent punishment (Ezek. 33:1-16).
1. What will happen IF GOD’S WATCHMEN USE ONLY A FRACTION OF GOD’S TITHE TO WARN THE UNITED STATES AND BRITAIN, CANADA, AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND OF IMPENDING NATIONAL DISASTER and these Nations of modern day Israel are NOT PROPERLY WARNED? Ezek. 33:6!
COMMENT: This is the WARNING TO GOD’S WATCHMEN! It is also the message of God’s Master Plan that millions are reading in the information now on your PC. There is no other organization doing God’s work of bringing THIS WARNING to the world! The Philadelphia era of God’s church has this responsibility TODAY.
The vast majority of those who hear and read God’s warning message are not preparing for the time of world turmoil and devastating war that is coming. A few, however, are acting on the knowledge God has given them. They will be given protection from the terrors to come. This protection is available to those who are willing to yield themselves to the authority of God and do what He says–submitting themselves to His direction to participate now in God’s plan.
2. In the days of Ezra, did Israel-the Old Testament Church-keep the Feast of Trumpets? Neh. 8:1-2. Did Ezra read the law to the people on the Feast of Trumpets? Verses 3-8. Did the ministers of God in the Old Testament read and explain so the people could understand, just as God’s ministers do today? Verse 8.
3. What did Nehemiah teach the people concerning the Feast of Trumpets? Verses 9-12. Although the people had been weeping in repentance for not knowing God’s law, and for not keeping the Feast of Trumpets, when Nehemiah explained that this day was a day of great rejoicing, what did they do? Verse 12.
COMMENT: Members of God’s Church today also observe the Feast of Trumpets, they look forward to the return of Jesus Christ, when there will be peace and happiness, around the world!
Summary, A. C. Study. Free Library Copy
Return to Library
In accordance with Sec 107 of Chapter 1 of Title 17 of US Copyright Law, this material is distributed without
charge or other commercial interest for the purposes of comment, teaching, scholarship and review.